Friday, December 9, 2011

The Valley of the Shadow of Death - Day 1

Day 1

NUMB

Did this really happen? Did my son really just try to take his life? He was in a good mood today and hung out. What happened?

NUMB
Task Mode

The phone rang...late. The phone rang a little later. Mr. Wonderful got up to tell Mr.15 to wrap it up now that it was too late. The phone rang again. Mr.15 left the house in a hurry. The phone rang again. Mr. Wonderful picked up. Mr.15 did what? Overdosed on what? Where is he now?

NUMB
Task Mode

The ER doc came in to let us know that they are checking his levels and they will start giving him charcoal to get rid of the over the counter drug. I stepped out. I told her what he had told me. I told her I didn't know how to act. Did he do this for attention? Should I be the doting parent? Or do I need to hold back? He's obviously mad. OK, what would I normally do? Go to him. He talked some with steally eyes. Mad eyes.

We looked at each other and knew our lives would NEVER be the same. His life would NEVER be the same. Would he be ok? They weren't acting like it was an emergency. Where was everyone? Hello?!!! Shouldn't we be doing something here?!!!

The doc came in later to say that he had not taken enough to do damage or that the charcoal was working to bring his levels down. Praise God. So they would be transferring him to a secure section of the ER until a psych could come evaluate him. Then they would take him to another hospital for a minimum of 72 hours holding period. I lost it when we moved into a guarded, video monitored, sterile, cell-like room. I bawled for my son. Would this be his future? It couldn't be true!!!

Then Mr.Wonderful went and got breakfast for us. The nurse asked if we wanted cards. So the card games began and Mr.15 was actually laughing and joking with us. The psych on-call came and evaluated Mr.15 for 40minutes without us. We waited for what our future held. And then you'd think I'd be relieved when she said we could take him home! What? After all of this? This is serious. What if he does it again? What do we do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment